Display Options


Financial Support


We can help you with education and training costs, travel, clothing costs and other costs that will help you to do what you want to do for your future!  This will depend on your individual circumstances and where you are living – we can’t pay for everything – but we will always listen to your request and help you as much as we can.  If we cannot pay for everything we can help you to apply to charities for help with funds.

When you are studying it is very important for you to claim Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA).  This gives you extra money to help you with your studies.  Talk to your Social Worker about this if you want help applying for this. 

Your workers will be able to advise you on the current arrangements that Transport in London have in place for students as you should be able to receive a student discount.


If you are considering going to university we will support you to get your degree! 

It is important you let the leaving care team know about this as soon as you can so that they can help you to understand the rules regarding grants and loans, because these will vary year on year.

If studying outside London we will support accommodation in Halls of Residence for at least your first year. We will also offer vacation accommodation in London.


When you are under 18, Lambeth Council will provide you with an allowance, as we are responsible for your care.  When you turn 18 you may be eligible to apply for benefits.  You may need assistance and advice when claiming benefits to ensure you are claiming the correct benefit as this can be a complex process.  If you need help with this please speak to your Social Worker.