Display Options


Local Offer

Money Advice

We recognise that having a family can be expensive and that having a child with special educational needs can mean additional expenses.

It is important that parents and carers have access to as much information as possible on Money and Benefits.  The information includes help with childcare costs, claiming benefit you may be entitled to, saving money on fuel bills and where to get advice and support.

For example:

Families on low incomes, out of work or who have a disabled child may be entitled to financial help through benefits and allowances - for further information visit the help for disabled child page on the Government website.

Some families may be entitled to child tax credits - for further information visit the child tax credits page on the Government website.

If you are looking to develop the skills and knowledge needed to feel confident about looking for work or managing your finances - for further information visit the further education courses page on the Government website.

There are ways of saving money on household bills by using hints and tips, find out if there are any grants available, see if there is a cheaper energy supplier - for further information visit the bills and benefits page on the Government website.

Personal Budgets


Some of the benefits are dependent on income and whether a couple or single person is in employment and/or in receipt of other benefits


Benefit Enquiry Line – 0800 882 200

The following outlines the main benefits families of children and young people with additional needs or disabilities may be able to claim, or to have claimed on their behalf.

For more information, contact the Benefits Enquiry Line. Some of the benefits listed below can also be claimed by individuals without a disability depending on your individual circumstances.

  • Tax Credit (to top up the earnings of people working on low incomes) or Child Tax Credit – 0345 300 3900 (incl. higher rate of child tax credit – disability element) - you do not have to be working to claim Child Tax Credit.
  • Working Tax Credit – a payment to top up the earnings of working people on low incomes, including those who do not have children. Includes a Childcare Element to help with the costs of childcare.
  • Child Trust Fund
  • Child Benefit
  • Family Fund
  • Vaccine Damage Payments
  • Disability Living Allowance – Mobility Component can be claimed from age 3 for the lower rate and age 5 for the higher rate. There is an automatic entitlement to higher rate mobility for those who are severely visually impaired. For those in receipt of the higher rate of mobility, an application can be made to purchase a Motability vehicle.
  • Disability Living Allowance – Care Component can be claimed from birth.
  • Carers Allowance for Carer – aged 16 and over, who spend 35 hours or more per week regularly caring for a severely disabled individual (someone who claims the higher or middle rate care component of DLA and not earning more than £100 per week net).
  • Incapacity Benefit (provided the young person is not still in full-time education-21 hours a week of supervised study)
  • Income Support (either on its own or to top up any Incapacity Benefits they may get)
  • Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit – rent/ mortgage interest only
  • Independent Living Fund
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - There are two types of ESA: Contributory ESA (meaning you must have paid some national insurance to qualify) and Income related ESA (meaning how much you get depends on your income and savings) call the Benefits Enquiry Line:
    Tel: 0800 882 200 or
    go to www.gov.uk
  • Community Care Budgeting Grant or Loan (claimants of Income Support) from The Social Fund, for individuals who cannot afford to pay for the costs of: e.g. fares to visit their child in hospital, bedding, clothing, laundry or safety items. Discretionary payments. Alternative could be a budgeting loan, which must be paid back
  • Other Health Benefits: e.g. free prescriptions and for those in receipt of Tax Credits
  • Motability is a national UK charity, which helps disabled people and their families, to become mobile, by enabling them to use their government funded disability allowances to lease or buy a car, powered wheelchair or scooter. A grant for larger vehicles can be applied for from the motability grants department. Young people aged 16-24 on the higher rate of mobility, can apply for a motability grant for driving lessons.
    Tel: 0845 456 4566
    Web: www.mobility.co.uk

Universal Credit

Universal Credit will be introduced from October 2013. The transition from the current system of benefits and Tax Credits to Universal Credit will be gradual and it is expected to be completed by the end of 2017.

Universal Credit will replace:

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit
  • Some of the services and equipment you may be eligible for, through the Education and Care Services
  • Blue Badge (from age 3 or younger, can apply if you have to make excessive journeys, e.g. appointments) eligible if on the higher rate of mobility, otherwise a DLA assessment will be required.
    Tel: 020 8461 7629
  • Disabled allocated parking space.

Back to Information Advice and Support Service